Life in the Time of COVID-19 | Week 8
Posted On May 10, 2020
Hello! I hope you survived week 8 gracefully. Here in Maryland, the government is working on the first phase of opening society up. That said, Austin and I have no plans of freely roaming about the world anytime soon. Additionally, the company I work for is not rushing in on bringing folks back into the office either. During this time I find myself incredibly appreciative of working for a company that cares about their employees and that has a CEO who puts humans first.
Over the weekend we planted all of our vegetables and herbs. I also planted the spring onions and lettuce I had been growing in water. I’m excited to see if those continue to grow. Over just one week one of my tomato plants has already gotten a few inches taller!
It was all fine and dandy until 2020 threw us another curveball with a historically rare May polar vortex. We have been covering the plants we planted in the yard at night to attempt to keep them from frosting. As for the herb garden, luckily its fairly light weight so we were able to bring that indoors overnight.
Austin made the granola recipe from the Sweet Potato Soul cook book this week. It was delicious! If you don’t have this cookbook yet, I would highly encourage you to buy it. We really enjoy everything we’ve made from this book so far.
Midweek this month’s Winc order arrived. This month I went we a wide variety of wines. I don’t typically do bubbles but I’m excited to give the sparkling chardonnay a try. I know I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but I cannot recommend this service enough. I’m really enjoying having wine directly delivered to my home, especially at this time when we’re trying to avoid being in public as much as possible.
Another order I got in this week was a 4 pound box of dates from Joolies. I bought these on a whim, but they are without a doubt the best dates I’ve ever eaten so I will be a loyal customer going forward.
Honestly, not a lot happened this week so I won’t drag this post out. That said I would like to close this post with this adorable picture of Fran looking very embarrassed after having just rolled off the couch.
My thoughts in summary on this week:
1. I’m feeling burnt out, which sounds crazy since I’m inside not doing much. It’s mental I suppose, but I am feelings worn out.
2. I am wondering what could be coming next. Pandemic, UFO confirmation, murder hornets, polar vortex in May – seriously, what’s next?
3. I finished Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson and I really enjoyed it. You’ll see my brief review later this week.
4. I’m really quite impressed with myself for finishing a book in 2 weeks.
5. I would really love to go to the chiropractor right now, but I’m not leaving this damn house!