My Vegan Pantry Staples
Posted On April 9, 2020
On Monday I shared my pantry tour on my Youtube channel so today I thought it would be a great time to share my must-have pantry staples for our vegan lifestyle.
- Beans! I like to have black beans, kidney beans, and chickpeas on hand at all times because those are our favorite few. Typically we just have cans on hand. For this particular thing we’re going through as a world we did get a few bags of dry beans simply because they are more space effective.
- Coconut milk. The other canned item that’s a must have for me is coconut milk. I love throwing it soups, dals, and curries.
- Nuts. I like to have almonds, walnuts, and pecans on hand. Those three nuts are all easy to find and work well in both savory and sweet applications.
- Lentils. Red, green, brown, whatever! I like to at least have one on hand at all times. They bulk up a meal nicely and keep you feeling full.
- Rice. I mean duh! How can you be vegan and not have an inappropriately large amount of rice on hand at all times?
- Pasta. I am admittedly a pasta addict. I would likely die without it.
- Ramen. Its just such a great super fast meal when you don’t have the energy to make something more complicated.
- Calabrian chilis. This is also an item that I specifically need because I am addicted.
- Flour and Sugar. I mean these are honestly the two basics you need on hand to bake sweet treats.
- Ground Flax. Ground up flax seeds are an excellent egg replacer in vegan baking. It can also be great added to smoothies for an added omega-3 boost.
- Chocolate chips. Whenever I use up my Enjoy Life chocolate chips the immediately go back on my shopping list. I cannot go without chocolate chips in my pantry. You just never know when you’re going to have a chocolate craving hit and have to bake an emergency batch of cookies.
Oils – no I’m not one of those vegans that’s deathly afraid of oil
- Avocado oil. This is the only oil we cook with since it has a high burning point.
- Extra virgin olive oil. I like to finish pastas and create sauces with EVOO.
- Coconut oil. This is oil I use most in baking recipes if they don’t call for vegan butter.
- Vegetable oil. We don’t fry things very often at all, but on the off change we do we use vegetable oil.
Obviously, we all have different tastes and preferences so everyone’s pantry staples list will look a bit different. What is your must-have that didn’t make my list?